Lake City is a well-run municipality where citizens enjoy reasonable tax rates and first-rate services. Lake City has the high quality of life that you expect from a small town, as well as many of the conveniences and activities you need.
Welcome to the City of Lake City, Minnesota. We're a small city nestled on Lake Pepin, a little over an hour southeast of the Minneapolis / Saint Paul metropolitan area and 45 minutes from Rochester, MN, home of the world-famous Mayo Clinic. You can reach us from the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport, Rochester International Airport, Amtrak Station in Red Wing, MN, by car or by boat.
Lake City, on the banks of Lake Pepin which flows out of and back into the Mississippi River, is located on Hwy. 61, also known as the Great River Road. Lake City is situated in two counties, Goodhue and Wabasha Counties.
Goodhue County is in the southeast triangle of Minnesota. There are several irregularities in its boundary lines, but, generally speaking, it has Dakota County on the north, Wisconsin on the northeast, Wabasha County on the east, Dodge and Olmsted Counties on the south, and Rice County on the west. The Mississippi River and Lake Pepin form its northeastern border and separate it from the State of Wisconsin.
Wabasha County is located in Southeastern Minnesota on the Mississippi River. It is considered to be both a part of the Mississippi River Valley, and Mississippi River Bluffs Area. The rich history of this area is evident throughout the county. It is the setting for the Grumpy Old Men movies.
- Major Highways - Lake City is conveniently located on Highways 61 and 63, approximately 15 miles south of Red Wing, 35 miles north of Rochester, 45 miles north of Winona, and 60 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Also worth noting, the portion of Highway 61 that runs through Lake City is part of the Great River Road, a byway recognized by Congress in the National Scenic Byways Program of the Federal Highway Administration for its beauty and cultural significance.
- Freight Rail - We are also accessible to two major rail lines, CP Rail and Soo Line.
- Passenger Rail – The Amtrak Station in Red Wing is approximately 16 miles away.
- Air - In addition, Lake City is only a short 20 minute drive to Red Wing Regional Airport, or 40 minutes to the Rochester International Airport. Lake City is also approximately 50 miles from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
- Water – Lake City is positioned directly on the western bank of Lake Pepin, which is the widest spot of the Mississippi River. We are also home to the largest small-craft marina on the Mississippi.